Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Paneled jumpsuit

I bought this fabric on a whim.  It was on the $1.99/yard table and I loved the bright colours and paisley patterns. The fabric is a panel print with each panel being a rectangle approximately 23"wide x 29"long surrounded in black.  The fabric itself is a relatively thin poly lycra fabric.


When I bought the fabric I had no idea what I was going to do with it!  However if I've learned one this this year it's that I actually really like wearing jumpsuits so I decided that I should make another. 

I already have three Sirrocco jumpsuits in high rotation in my wardrobe so this time I went back to the Sallie jumpsuit as I wanted something a bit more flowy.  I originally made this pattern back in May 2016.


As you can see in these photos I needed a bit more length in the pattern  so I went back and modified it by adding a wide waistband in a different colour.  Better! 



For my latest version I included this waistband from the start this time.  I cut the top out of the center of one of the panels and the back out of another.  The waistband I cut out of the black between the panels.  For the pants I laid out my pattern pieces out one at a time so that the top of the pants was at the top of one of the panels and the black border hit at about the calf level with another couple of inches of a second panel at the bottom of the leg.  I was then able to get the lining for the top out of what was left over so at least on the outside everything is balanced and symmetrical.


The black stripe around the leg is different but I don't mind it too much.

I used all the exact same pattern modificaions as I did last time cutting a straight size 16 with 1" taken out of the rise and 1"off the length, but then took a little more off the length as I didn't want the big hem this time.




This time however I found the neckline gapes a lot more than the last one and seems to be a lot lower cut - maybe I didn't get the elastic tight enough.


I think I need to do a few modifications to the pattern before I make this again.

I need to cut the top at a smaller size across the shoulder and do a full bust adjustment as I need the extra length at the front of the top.  I can then either eliminate the extra waistband or cut the length off the top pattern piece to make the waistband, cause at the moment the waistband works at the front but then disappears in the back.


Hopefully by cutting the shoulders smaller this will also raise the V in the back a little too as my new bras show underneath it as is!

Overall, whilst I love this jumpsuit it definitely has a few minor issues.  I feel like I want to try it again but we are rapidly running out of weather to wear it so I might have to wait till next year!






1 comment: