Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Grey knit Sallie jumpsuit


Well I made this jumpsuit, photographed it and wrote this post a good couple of weeks ago now, but I have to say I'm not happy with the pictures,  I kept putting off this post and planning to get more flattering photos, but then I thought about it some more and decided that I'd blog the jumpsuit as is - ugly pictures and all and then I'll do another update if and when I get around to fixing this outfit.

so anyway....



The very first time that I saw the Sallie jumpsuit pattern by Closet Case files I fell in love.  I don't know what it is.  I've never been a fan of jumpsuits so its not that.  I'm don't particularly like the spaghetti strap maxi dress version, but that kimono sleeve, wide legged pants jump suit just spoke to me for some reason.  So after months of deliberating about whether or not I wanted to waste my money  (as someone with a 5'1", short torso and extra weight around the waist line figure I don't really have the ideal silhouette for a jumpsuit).....I finally decided to just go for it.  I bought that pattern, taped it all together and got started.



Based on my measurements compared to the size measurements for the pattern I'm a size 12 to 14 in the bust, size 16 waist, and size 12 to 14 hips.  I looked at the final measurements chart on the pattern and found that the pattern is drafted with negative ease in it and I wasn't sure how fitted I wanted it so I decided the easiest thing to do was cut a straight size 16.

The instructions say that the pattern was drafted for someone who is 5'6" tall, therefore at 5'1" I knew that I was going to do something about the length.  Some measuring of the pattern showed that I didn't want to take any length out of the top, but the rise in the pants seemed to have extra room so I ended up taking about 1.5 " out there.  I cut 1" off the bottom of the pants but that still left me with about 3 inches for a hem.  That actually ended up pretty good as the extra weight at the bottom of the pants helps them hang a bit better.

The only other change I made was that I didn't have any clear elastic to stabilise the neckline...or any of the other options it mentions, so I ended up using some black fold over elastic that I had lying around.  I lined up the edge of the elastic with the raw edge of the neckline and basted it in place. I then sewed the lining onto the main top section with a 3/8" seam which allowed about 1/8 " of the elastic to protrude when the top was turned right sides out. This gives a nice contrasting edge along the neckline edge.



As far as fit goes - its not bad....but I think that I need some extra length in the top.  The top just seems way too short to me  I'm seriously considering separating the two pieces again and adding in a separate waistband....a different colour I think would add a nice contrast.

So the final verdict..... I'm not sure....it's nice and comfortable and has been my go to outfit for wearing around the house, but I'm not sure about out of the house.  My biggest issue is around the tummy where it shows off all my lumps and bumps that come with two kids.

I have worn it out a couple of times but I don't think it's the most flattering thing.....my husbands input......."it makes you look like a middle aged housewife".   Hmmmmm well, I suppose I am technically a middle aged housewife.





1 comment:

  1. I think these pictures look great! The natural light is nice. I still can't decide what I think about jumpsuits for myself, but you did a good job on this one. I bet some more length would be a good idea, and I know what you mean about being unsure of if you like the silhouette--I have definitely had that feeling with a few of my projects. I just tell myself that it's good to try something new even if it doesn't turn out to be my favorite. Way to be courageous. ;)

    ReplyDelete