Saturday, April 21, 2018

More Kids going out clothes

I don't usually post all the basics kids clothes that I make, generally I just use really basic patterns that I've drafted specifically for the kids but I wanted to  say a little something about these pieces.

First up a going out shirt for my son.  At 8 years old its really not easy to find patterns that will work for him.  Usually its not a problem.  I have some basic self drafted patterns that I keep up-sizing as the kids get older, but this time I wanted a collared shirt and I didn't have a pattern for that. 

I do however have a copy of Simplicity 8180  a pattern that includes a button up shirt, shorts, and tie for a boy and the same for men.  Of course my son was too small for the men's shirt patterns and too big for the boys shirt pattern.

In order to get around this I traced the mens size small pattern onto white paper, then overlayed the boys size large, matching the patterns at waist level (I noted at this point that the waistline on the mens front pattern piece was actually in the wrong place). I then traced exactly half way between the two patterns to get something that was close to my sons size.  I measured this pattern against J and saw that it was quite a bit too long and ended up cutting the pattern off at the kids size large size.  I also cut the sleeves off at the kids size large size.

The fabric that I used for this shirt is a cotton shirting material that I picked up at my local discount fabric place.  It's a plaid in Blue, Black and white.



I cut out my fabric, placing the pocket on the bias and cutting two instead of the one specified.

I then sewed the shirt as per the pattern instructions.  The first modification I made was the pocket.  I sewed the two pocket pieces together right sides facing then turned then inside out so that all the seams are internalised.  I then turned the pointed flap it to the outside and tacked the flap down along the two side edges before top stitching the pocket to the front piece as specified.


This gives the illusion of a flap on the pocket without having to actually sew on a flap.

There seemed to be a few steps missing at this point - the instructions totally skipped sewing the shoulders together which would be a bit confusing if you were not an experienced sewer.

The next change I made was to the cuffs.  I tried to finish off the slit in the sleeves as per the pattern instructions but I could not get the continuous loop to work.  In then end I unpicked it all and cut new placket pieces on the bias and sewed them on as per my usual method.   A much neater finish and easier for me at least.


excuse the chocolate stains on the shirt - we had just come back from the melting pot when I took these photos.

The last change I made was that I used snaps instead of buttons.  My son is not a fan of buttons and neither am I so he chose while round snaps instead.


The shirt is a smidge big, but it's not too bad - and he will grow into (and probably out of) it fast enough.


But I'm really quite happy with how this turned out. and J seems to like it so that's all that really matters.

This next make is quite old now - almost a year in fact, but I'm really happy with it so wanted to share.  Its based loosely on the Chalk and Notch Fringe Dress pattern.



I wanted a dress for my daughter that she could wear either in the winter or the summer and decided on a knit fabric with a long skirt and short sleeves.  I really liked the pick up on the Fringe dress sleeves so borrowed that idea as well as the front neckline notch.

The fabric was a poly lycra blend that I had in stash that I was planning on using for myself. I love this fabric so the fact that I let L steal it goes to show just how much I love her!

The top half of the dress was hacked from my basic kids T shirt pattern, then the sleeve pick ups added and the front neckline modified. 



The neckline is finished with a facing that is then turned under and top stitched in place.


The skirt is just a basic rectangle gathered onto the top at a dropped waist position.


This dress has been a big hit and has been worn for every occasion in the last year.  Here L is performing in her first clarinet concert.


The last piece I want to document is this jacket I made for L.  I used the same Burda style Bomber Jacket pattern that I used for my bomber jacket.

The pattern that I have printed out is a size 36 with no seam allowances.  For L's coat I cut the pattern as is (didn't add the seam allowances) and it turned out a pretty good fit - a bit big, but for a jacket that's OK.

The material that I used is a gold vinyl that I picked up off a remnants table.  I lined the coat with some left over fleece for warmth and used some stash red ribbing for neckline, cuffs and waistband.


The welt pockets are not my best work but they're not terrible.



I used my edge foot for the first time when I was top stitching the zipper and it worked really well.




again - L loves it so its win in my books.  And it goes nicely with the dress too - always a bonus!


1 comment:

  1. Wow. These look great, and it looks like your kids love them! I think the fact that they are slightly large is a benefit for growing kids. I like the design choices you made.

    ReplyDelete