Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Stripes stripes everywhere

The last time I was at my favourite fabric store - sewfisticaed - I found this fantastic knit fabric in grey and fluro yellow stripes.  I didn't know just what I was going to use it for but I knew I needed it so I got just 1m of the fabric.  I had plans to make a dress for myself out of it, but L needed a new fall weather dress so I decided that it could go to her.  I had an image in my mind of how it was going to look, but as per usual no one pattern could  be found to make it so I made it up as I went along.

I made a muslin of the top half as that's the trickiest bit to fit and I was working from an old adult pattern I had and cutting it down to kids size.  I'm glad I did because quite a few changes were necessary.  The skirt was just a basic rectangle gathered to the bodice so that was easy but to ass interest I used the striped going in the other direction.   I had plans on doing set in pockets but in the end I went with patch pockets with the stripe on the diagonal.  The orginal neckline that I had planned was half in but flapping around and looked a bit like a collar when I tried it one for fitting one and L decided she loved the idea of a collar so a collar it was, with again the stripes going in a different direction.  And finally I trolled through my stash of buttons to find something to add visual interest down the front.  All in all I am supremely happy with how it turned out.















No comments:

Post a Comment