Tuesday, September 8, 2015

An intorduction

It's time to come clean.  I seem to be addicted to sewing blogs.  If I was allowed I'd probably spend all day every day reading all about the lives of other sewing enthusiasts.  I wouldn't normally worry about this, but as the time draws nearer for my smallest to start school full time I need to make sure that I don't spend all my time reading but actually get out there and do something.  So in this vein I decided to start this blog.  To hopefully keep me accountable for what I'm achieving in my "me time".

Some backgound information on me. I learnt how to sew as a young girl, from my mum of course. I did the obligatory Home Economics (aka sewing) class in high school, then through high school and uni I sewed (with my mums help of course) all those special occasion dresses that came up.  My year 10 formal, the Engineering Ball dresses at Uni, my bridesmaid dress for my sisters wedding,

But then a couple of years ago I really got the sewing bug.  I was sick of buying the kids cheap crappy clothes, I refused to pay the money for the more ethical, better made clothes, I hated being a slave to "fashion" - you can only wear these three colours this year, in this style, even if it doesn't suit you - So I pulled out the trusty sewing machine and took up sewing in earnest.

I've gotten to the point now where at least 50% of both my kids and my wardrobe is home made and I'm hoping I can get it up to 90% - I figure there was always be some things that are better off bought, but 90% should be possible.

So just to give you some background info I'll show you a couple of the more exciting pieces that I've made in the last couple of years.

One of the very first things I started making was soft soled kids shoes - My son was growing out of the store bought ones and I have this irrational hatred of thick soled shoes so I decided to try my hand at making shoes.  I found some basic patterns on the internet and then just made it up and I went along.



I then decided that I loved them so much I should try and make some of my own, and I have so say I love these types of soft sole shoes, I've made myself at least 10 different pairs so far (they unfortunately don't last all that long when you wear them all day every day).




I've made a heap of just everyday clothes for the kids and myself, t-shirts, shorts, pants, jumpers (sweaters) both sewing, and knitting (and crocheting too on occasion).



Then last year I decided that I wanted to try my hand at making coats.  Up until them most of the clothes I made were patterns that I had made up myself using old items of clothes, but a coat was something much ore complicated.  I found a perfect pattern flicking through a pattern book at the local fabric shop ad just had to try it.

  

I have to say I love the coat.  I made it pretty much to pattern, except I added a fleece interlining between the main fabric and the lining for added warmth - I wanted to be able to wear this all winter.  I think I wore this coat every day from January till March this year.

Of course my daughter decided that she wanted in on the action as well so for her I bought Vogue V9043 which ended up as this.
 


and eventually with a few modifications as this.

and this
 and this

 So thats where we are now.  I've just finished making duct tape manequins of both this kids so I can still sew for them whilst they're at school - well at least for a week or two till the grow again...I want to make one of me but I wasn't sure how it would turn out so I tried it on my son first thinking he's a lot smaller so if it doesn't work I've wasted less materials....but it did work so as soon as I get some time a duct tape me will be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment