Thursday, April 16, 2020

Camouflage Jumper for my Son

My second sewing project during the Covid shutdown was a camoflague fleece jumper for my son.  I bought this fleece fabric a while ago and promised to make his a sweater out of it so I figured that this was a good time.




For a pattern I started with the Paprika Patterns Jasper sweater.  I've made this a number of time for myself so I started with my copy of the pattern which is basically a size 7 with a few modifications.

I traced the pattern onto tracing paper and then started making a few more modifications to make it something that would be good for a 10yo boy.

The first mod was to remove the bust shaping.  I didn't do anything special here, basically just  removed the curvature from the side pattern piece at the front and some extra length at the front and side. I then raised the front neckline to remove the big V.

The big modifications came with the outer hood piece.  I had to account for the raising of the front neckline, but also take out some of the extra ease that was built into this piece and remove all the asymmetry.   The remaining opening is just the right size, not to big and not too small.


I fully lined the hood with some scraps of camoflauge waffle knit (this boy likes his camo so we have plenty of different ones in stash) I also used this for the back of the pocket bag.



 In the end I'm really happy with how this turned out and best of all so is he.  It's oversized which is just how he likes it.



No comments:

Post a Comment