Monday, December 31, 2018

2018 Hits and Misses

Each year, Gillian of Crafting a Rainbow starts a #sewingtop5 series.  Every year I go through and mentally assign my top 5 hits and misses but this year I wanted to actually put it down in paper.

So here goes.

What have I made

Total 40 items for myself
12 items for others

The breakdown of Items is shown below (doesn't show all the Christmas gifts I sewed for family and friends)



I made quite a variety of items, but dresses were the clear winner.  I've found that I'm getting a lot more comfortable wearing dresses these days and it's showing in my sewing room.

So out of my 40 items what were hits and what were misses.

Top 5 Hits


Jasper jumpers - These get worn all the time and are a definite hit
Jasper dress - This dress has been getting a surprising amount of wear this winter  I like having something easy wearing that isn't pants.
Lined jeans -If I do want to wear pants these are definitely my first choice.  The combination of flannel lining and elastic waist is a definite winner.
Pink bra -  Well I finally managed to get a comfortable easy wearing bra.  I just need to make a couple more of these now!
Grey ankle shoes -  I made quite a few pairs of shoes this summer but these were the definite winners I love the comfort and style combined.

Top 5 misses


Refashioner boots - These really didn't work at all.  I wore them once but never again.  They have since been put aside to be redone.

Purple Velvet skirt and top - Whilst I really like this outfit unfortunately it never actually get's worn.  Which is a shame since I love this fabric.  Maybe I just need to make a concentrated effort to actually wear it - or at least parts of it

Red black plaid dress -Not yet blogged- Whilst there are bits of this that I like it ended up looking too much like a bathrobe to be actually wearable, plus I stuffed up and put one placket on the front of the sleeve rather than the back- it feels really weird.  I'm still trying to figure out how I can modify this so that it is wearable.

Red velvet - I think I've finally figured out what is wrong with this.  I think the neck band is just a bit too short and it makes the whole thing seem like it's strangling me.  Maybe I'll try and remake this next year so it actually get's worn cause I love this fabric.

Blue Plaid button up shirt - Also never blogged mainly because I've only worn it the once.  It fits fine but just never gets worn, maybe when it warms up a little it'll come back out of the closet!

There are a number of other pieces that don't get worn too much that could have gone in here, but I chose these ones as I had the highest hopes for them, thus they've fallen the farthest.




4 comments:

  1. Very interesting! And I like the pie chart. I’ve never tried this challenge, but maybe I should. —Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've been meaning to do it for years,glad I finally got around to it. It was fun to look back on everything.

      Delete
  2. Love those shoes! I will have to go look at your posts to learn about the pattern. As for the red and black plaid dress, I kind of like it. But the print might be a little less overwhelming if the dress were shorter. I think it would look great with boots if it were knee-length!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the shoes are a self made pattern. I have a couple of posts that go through in detail how I go about making them. I'm still trying to decide if I want to do something about the skirt your right it does need to be shorter, but I think it needs more structure too.

      Delete