Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Precious Fabric Stash busting - Part 2 - Knit Red Velvet

So whilst I was on a precious fabric stash busting kick I decided to pull out my piece of knit red velvet that I've had lying around for over 10 years.  I know that I bought this fabric back in Australia - And I haven't lived there for 10 years now - so this fabric is deep stash!



I knew that I wanted this fabric to be a shirt of some sort - I wanted it to be something that I could wear everyday - but still be really nice and after loving my zebra wrap top this year I decided to use this pattern again.

I made a few modifications to the pattern when I made the Zebra version, but never noted them on the actual pattern, so rather than going straight for my precious fabric I decided to muslin first.

I figured it may as well be wearable so used this multi coloured knit farbic that I originally bought to make pants for my daughter - oh well its mine now!

I pulled out my zebra top and the blog post to figure out what changes I'd made and updated the pattern accordingly, then cut out and sewed up my muslin.



Looking at these pictures I think I made the hem a bit too deep - I could do a bit more length in the shirt.  I added cuffs to the sleeves as I found with my last shirt that the sleeves were a touch too short.  I like them at this length.


I went ahead and cut out the red velvet.    I only had a limited amount of the fabric - probably only 1 meter - and since it's velvet I had to cut everything in one direction to account for the nap so I struggled to get all the pieces cut.  I ended up having to cut  the sleeves slightly shorter than the pattern called for, but made the cuffs longer to account for this.

I did make one change when cutting out the velvet - it has less stretch than my other materials so I added 3/8" at each side seam.





It's definitely a bit tighter than my other version but it seems to work fairly well.

Having worn these two shirts for a while now I've finally figured out the one thing that was annoying me about this pattern - the back is cut a smidge too small - it needs to have just an extra 1/2" inch added to the center line to stop the whole top from pulling in too much at the back - I find I have to keep tugging the sleeves down on my existing top.





No comments:

Post a Comment