Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Reversible Jasper Dress

So take two on the snuggly dress quest.

Ever since I got the Paprika Patterns Jasper pattern I've been wanting to try the dress version I've even had the fabric set aside for it of a year now.  Well I finally got around to making it.  But I couldn't just make it plain - oh no I had to go and make it reversible.  The blue fleece fabric that I had earmarked for this dress I felt would make a really plain dress - it's one of the reasons I put off making this for so long - I wanted to do something to jazz it up a bit but could never figure out what.  Then one day when I was going through my fabric stash I looked over and saw a piece of flannel plaid that worked quite nicely with the blue and thought about using it as a contrast on the cuffs and bottom band, but then I had the brilliant idea of making a second dress out of the plaid flannel and making a reversible dress, tying the two together at cuffs, bottom band and cowl with a contrasting black fleece. Yes!



 I originally wanted to make the hooded version, but I wasn't sure how the hood would work reversible with the opposite side showing through so in the end I decided on the cowl neck instead.

The fabrics are all Sewfisticated Fabric finds.  The blue and the black fabrics ares knit on one side and fleecy on the other and have little to no stretch.  I have no idea what the fabric content is on these.  The plaid is a 100% cotton flannel.

I used the pattern that I modified when I originally made my Jasper sweaters.  It's basically a size 7 width but the lengths of front and back are cut down to account for my short torso and the sleeve adjusted accordingly.  I then added the dress length back on

I was a bit worried that by putting pockets in both dresses it would end up a bit bulky through the middle section but it's turned out surprisingly nicely.  I really love the way the pockets in the dress/sweater work - and have stolen them a couple of times for other projects too!




The two dresses were made separately and then put together to add the black cuffs, band and cowl.  For the cuffs and cowl I sewed the two layers of the dress together and sewed one side of the band to the blue side of the dress, I then turned under the other seam allowance, folded over the cuff/cowl and topstitched the cuff/cowl in place.

The epaulet for the cowl I made one side blue and one side plaid and then just twisted it at the neckline so he corresponding side is shown.  A button was sewed on each side to complete the look.



The bottom band I had to think about for a while.  I didn't want to attach it in the same way as the cuffs and collar as I was worried that one fabric might bag more than the other and end up baggy/saggy around the bottom so instead I sewed the lower band entirely to the blue dress, keeping the plaid dress separate, then with much contorting and twisting and turning sewed the plaid onto the other side of the front band - that just left a stretch of band at the back that had to be hand sewn onto the plaid to finish the dress off.






I am totally happy with this dress and can see it becoming a winter staple I've already found myself reaching for it regularly - and I can even wear it two days in a row - one on each side.    I love that due to the two different layers its super snuggly - now to make that pair of fleecy leggings to wear with it for even more warmth.



1 comment:

  1. It looks great! I love that plaid especially, and the reversible aspect is so cool.

    Lisa, Pattern and Branch

    ReplyDelete