Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Sallie Mini Skirt Hack

As I posted about here,  I actually bought myself a new pattern then other day - The Sallie Jumpsuit by Closet Case File.  I made up the jumpsuit as per the pattern and whilst it's OK it's not a "wow I need to wear this all the time" piece - I knew I could make it just a little better.



I love the shape of the kimono top, with a few modifications to get it to fit a little better of course.  I used the size 16  to start then took about 1/2 inch off the center line.  I also took the neckline up 1/4" higher - for this dress I didn't need to be able to get it on and off over my hips, so I wanted to bring the width of the neckline in just enough that I didn't need the tie to keep the neckline on my shoulders.  I think this is just right. I also added 1.5" to the bottom edge of the top as I found the original length of the shirt too short.


The pants are the bit of this pattern that I'm not 100% sure of.  Of course the pattern comes with a maxi skirt version but I didn't want a long skirt I wanted it short.  I could have printed off the the skirt pattern and cut it off to the length I wanted, but I couldn't be bothered printing off all those pages so I just went back to the pants pattern and created a short skirt pattern based on those.  There is a very slight flare to the skirt but with the negative ease in the pattern it doesn't really look like it in the final product.


To find the material I wanted to use I went, not to my fabric stash, but to my pile of old clothes that I put aside to be re purposed.  I pulled out a paisley maxi dress that I bought at Walmart at the end of last Summer. I saw this dress and fell in love with the material, but the style wasn't that great.  There was a really heavy crocheted yoke on the dress that I hated but for the price I decided to buy it anyway with the intention of re purposing  the fabric - and this was the perfect project,



I laid out the skirt pattern at the bottom of the maxi skirt making use of the bottom hem for the bottom hem of my new skirt.  The top pieces were then laid out on the remaining material of the skirt.  I ended up having to take the sleeves in just a smidge at the top to get the pattern to fit around the existing seams, but that I think was fortuitous - I really like the top I ended up with.  The material in the top of the dress was just enough to get the back pieces of the pockets out of, though I did need to put a seam in the middle of one of the pocket pieces.

For a lining I found another old shirt that my husband got from a conference.  This time in a more subdued yellow that matched some of the yellow in the paisley pattern on the main material.  This was used to line the top and the inside of the pocket.

You can just see the yellow lining at neckline and sleeve

The dress was sewn up following the original instructions, though I left out all the elastic at neckline and pockets.  This was not a problem at the neckline, but I think I should have added it in on the pockets as they do gape a little without it.



I used 1/2" elastic in the waist band - I considered taking a little bit of the extra 1.5" off the bottom of the shirt, but decided in the end that I like this length and that the skirt would be a bit too short if I took any further length off.  Plus I like the fact I can move the waistband up and allow the shirt to blouse out a bit.



I love this dress.  this is definitely a keeper (and so much better than the original dress).  The comfort factor is very high.



2 comments:

  1. This turned out to great! You did a really good job adapting this pattern. I'm impressed (as always). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice dress.
    I found a similar one,hope you like this.

    ReplyDelete