Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Brown Corduroy Flares - and a Me Made May Update.

I know I know Its been a long time between posts - But I promise I haven't been slacking off.  It's just taken me forever to get photos of the things I've been making.  I've got three new makes to share.  In my next post I'll show you a pair of black cargo pants which I am not happy with  and the Sallie Jumpsuit in grey knit, but today I want to share my favourite new make, brown corduroy flares.



These are made using the pants pattern that I've been playing around with for the last two or three months.  It's still not perfect, but it's getting better.  If nothing else these pants are so comfortable that I may never taken them off.

They are made from a light weight, quite stretch corduroy fabric (fabric content unknown).  


The fit of the pants at the front is fairly good, though I think I could have made the front panels a bit smaller.  They look good when I'm standing up straight, but if I'm not thinking about my posture they tend to get a bit wrinkly across the front.




I think I also need to lower the rise in the front just a smidge - whilst I like my pants high waisted they are just a bit too high.


As for the back - Well I spent hours trying to get rid of the wrinkles under the butt.  I got rid of most of them - but this is as good as it gets.



The yoke was pretty much an add on after I had finished fitting the pants - I'm not sure that I like how it sits.  More work will need to be done on this on my next pair of pants.

I do however love the design on the pockets.  simple yet gives an almost quilted sort of look.

The fly front also worked nicely and I extended the pocket bags all the way into the fly to (hopefully) flatten out the tummy area.


I have this irrational hatred of buttons - I don't like doing them up and I don't like making button holes so I used three snaps to secure the waistband of the pants instead.  I didn't bother with belt loops either as I generally don't use them.  I did however top-stitch everything in blue which I love the look of.

The flare on the leg I like- I took the pattern in to fit snugly through the knee then flared it out as much as I could.  I love a good flare - and who cares if it looks a little silly on a 5'1" model.


Overall I'm pretty happy with these pants - but of course have a list of little changes I want to make to the pattern before I make them again.

Now a brief update on Me Made May.  I've been doing OK with my challenge, but I haven't been able to keep it 100%.  All my clothes have been me made, but I've slipped a little with the socks and shoes.  I always knew socks would be hard - since I only have 1 or two me made pairs, so I was hoping it would be warm enough to go without them for the whole month, but no such luck.  So I have on a few occasions worn store bought socks.  The other issue has been shoes.  Whilst I've been mainly wearing me made there have been a couple of occasions where I've resorted to store bought -mainly when its been raining.  However I also found a fantastic pair of sandals at the store the other day (of course I wasn't looking -  that's the only time I do find anything). I ummed and ahhed about whether I should buy them but then decided that there was really no reason why I shouldn't.....however it did mean I had to wear them a couple of times to test them out.

What I have found is that none of my me made shorts fit me any more so I need to make a new pair - so that has now made it to the top of my to make list.

I have not managed to take photos of my outfits each day so sorry no pictures.


4 comments:

  1. So jealous of your corduroys! I love corduroy pants, but my attempt was not so successful. I am in the process of figuring out another pattern to make another pair. These are great and I really love the "buttons" (you can't tell they are snaps) and the blue top-stitching. I think it's amazing you can make your own shoes in the first place never mind trying to only wear homemade ones in May! Good luck with the challenge, your way ahead than most I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - you have to love a nice pair of corduroy pants - they really should be a staple in all wardrobes as far as I'm concerned. Good luck trying to figure yours out.

      Delete
  2. Darn! I wrote a long comment and then lost it! Great pants! They look really good. I love corduroy and I love your back pocket design. Also, I think you're doing great on MMMay '16. Don't be too hard on yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the brown corduroy! Very spiffy!

    ReplyDelete