Sunday, April 10, 2016

Sewing the Basics: Tote Bags



I don't know about anyone else but I have real problems with shopping these days.  More often that not I'll find something I like, but then go - I can make that: better... cheaper...cuter.... etc myself and so I don't buy it - but then of course I never do get around to making said item.

I've been saying that about tote bags forever - The ones I have now are all many years old and falling apart and really really ugly.  I've thought numerous times of just buying new ones, but I can't bring myself to do it, I just keep promising myself to make some.

So finally last week I decided that enough was enough I had to do it.  I was at the fabric store and they had all these heavy weight cottons in really cute prints on sale for $2.49 /yard so I bought a bunch of them and came home and started making them up.



For the first bag I decided to just make up the pattern as I went along.  I measured all my existing bags to figure out how big I wanted it - added seam allowance - enough for french seams as I knew I wanted the bags french seamed as my fabric was all very prone to fraying.  Cut out a front, back, two sides and a bottom and then started sewing all the seams together.  Of course I realised at some point that this was not the most efficient way to make a tote bag - too many seams, too many awkward angles etc



There's nothing intrinsically wrong with this bag - I just knew it was too much work for what it was...
so I resorted back to the internet to look up tote bag tutorials.

I finally settled on the method shown at The Crafty Sisters.  I modified my pattern so that there was now only 1 single pattern piece that included front back, sides and bottom. I even eliminated the bottom seam by cutting the pattern on a fold at the bottom.  So now it was a matter of simply french seaming the two side seams, then french seaming the two bottom edges.  So much easier.





So my lesson for the day - You don't have to always do everything yourself.  Its perfectly acceptable and a lot easier to follow instructions if they already exist.







1 comment:

  1. Yes! I totally do the "I could make that!" thing! Sometimes I think I just say it to make myself feel better about not being able to buy some insanely overpriced thing, but yeah... Good job actually making the thing! These look really good. Way better than the freebies you get or ones you can buy.

    ReplyDelete