Saturday, January 1, 2022

Christmas Dress

 I decided at 2pm on Christmas Eve, that I really wanted a new dress to wear on Christmas day.

I had two main requirements:  

  1. Warm - I hate being cold and even though the weather has been really mild this December it's still below the 20oC (70F) threshold that I consider tolerable.
  2. Easy wearing - don't want to have to fuss with my clothes of be uncomfortable.
I knew that, in order to meet these two requirements it was going to have to be a long sleeve, full length dress.  Long sleeve to keep arms warm, and long skirt to keep the legs warm as I find leggings super uncomfortable (it's got something to do with the tightness around the calves - I just can't deal with it!).

Easy wearing meant not super tight, something that's easy to get into and out of - hence the cross over top. 

I know that a full length, long sleeve dress can get to be a bit much so I also wanted a contrasting waistband.

OK - So that's my design done - a cross over top with contrast neckband and waistband, and a long pleated skirt.



Now for a fabric - I originally intended to make it out of a knit fabric, but then I found this blue animal print flannel in my stash and knew that I wanted to use that.  A flannel - super warm and comfortable, but in a pattern that is not plaid and not cutesy kid - definitely.



This ended up being a super quick make - I drafted the top pattern from my sloper, added a full, long sleeve, gathered at the wrist, then  just used up the rest of the fabric to make the skirt as full as I could.  Of course I did add pockets into the skirt so that added a little extra time, but I started the project at 2pm and it was done by 5pm so not a bad afternoons work.



I wore it all Christmas eve and than Christmas day and I love it. 









No comments:

Post a Comment