Sunday, February 28, 2021

Nightgown

I'm a bit late posting this make. I made it way back in early January but I think I'm all caught up with blogging for a while now.  


Whilst I've needed new nightwear for a while I never seem to get around to making it, but then my Sewing Guild group decided to have a zoom pajama party.  The idea was to make some night wear and show it off at our next zoom meeting.  Sounds like a good time to finally get around to it.. Of course I went and made this, and then totally forgot on the night of the meeting and missed my chance to show it off......isn't that right!   Oh well it was a good push to get it made.

Fabric: I used a piece of white and red flannel that I had in stash.

Pattern:  To make this nightgown, I started with my moulage block. 

Front: I extended the length from the low hip line down 16".  I moved the underarm point down 2cm and out 1 cm., then tapered the side seam out from this point so that it was about 1" wider than the block at the low hip line and 2" wider at the hem.  I added in the arm hole dart backing it away from the bust point by about 1.5" and ignored the under bust dart.   I then removed 1.25" from the neckline for the collar before adding 1/2" seam allowances added all around. 


Back: I  again added 16" in length, moved the underarm point down 2cm and out 1 cm, then tapered the side seam out from this point so that it was about 1/2" wider than the block at the low hip line and 1.25" wider at the hem.  I created a back yoke by splitting the pattern about halfway down the back arm hole.  The bottom half of the pattern I added 1" to the center back line and then cut on a fold to create a pleat at center back.   The back darts were ignored.  


For the back yoke I added a center back seam so I can cut it on the bias and rotated the neckline darts to the yoke seam. I then removed 1.25" from the neckline for the collar before adding 1/2" seam allowances added all around. 


The sleeve pattern was created from my moulage based on a bicep diameter of 14.5" and wrist of 11.5" with a cap height of 5" and arm length of  22".    It's a fairly narrow sleeve and I finished them with 3" wide rib knit cuffs - I only had black and purple rib on hand and I decided to go with something different to the plain black I usually use and chose the purple. 

For the neckline I created a 1.25" wide flat collar with a placket opening at center front.  To do this I attached the 1.25" wide pieces I'd cut off the front and back necklines together at the shoulder seam and added a fold line at the center back so that the collar can be cut in one piece (I cut both my inner and outer collar pieces on the bias so I didn't need to try and pattern matching).  I added about 1.25" extra at the center front to account for the placket, then added 1/2" seam allowances all around.


For the opening I cut a slit 6" long in the center front of the  nightgown.  I then created a placket piece based on a basic sleeve tower placket with one side 1.25" wide and the underside 3/4"  wide.

I'm quite impressed with the pattern matching I managed to get on the placket.  It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

The collar and the placket are interfaced with medium weight iron on interfacing.  

After finishing my nightgown I decided that I needed a pocket, so pieced together some of the left over scraps to make a kangaroo patch pocket on the front.  The pocket is not as large as I would have liked but that was all the fabric I had that I could pattern match. 

To finish the bottom I made a double turned split hem  2.5" deep at the front and 2" at the back making the back about 1/2" longer than the front.

I really like the way this turned out - simple yet with a few details I really love! 







No comments:

Post a Comment