Sunday, August 30, 2020

Yellow Tail Camisole

I actually used a real pattern for once - The Yellow Tail Camisole - unfortunately it's from a pattern company that no longer exists - Disparate Disciplines.  I went searching the internet for it but the only thing I could find was this page.

I bought this pattern a couple of years ago and modified it into a dress pattern as a Christmas present for my sister. 

About 2 months ago I decided I wanted to use up the last of this pretty feather fabric I had sitting in stash.  I didn't have a lot of fabric left - I used it originally to made this romper and then I've been slowly using up with plain black leftovers but I really wanted to do something with the remaining feathers.  Since I had only a small amount of fabric I was limited in what I could make.  I remembered that I had this pattern in stash and decided to give it a go. I knew I would have to do a few modifications - the original pattern has teeny tiny spaghetti straps made out of fold over elastic which were never going to work but I thought it was worth a try.




I made the pattern  to the largest size but instead of using the fold over elastic to finish the back, sides and straps I made a 1.25" folded strap.  

As per usual straight out of the box did not work - I'd based my size selection on my full bust size  which never actually works but I'd prefer to cut out big and then take it in than cut it too small.  So I put it on inside out and started pinning out the extra fabric.  

The side seams came in about an inch at the top. I then took a dart  at the side bust basically starting at the top of the side seam angled down to my bust point.  I also had to take some extra fabric out of the band across the top and that resulted in a pretty good fit.


The biggest problem I have with it now is that it can really only be worn with the one bra that I used during construction.  Even this bra it still peeks out there at the front. 


So whilst I've owned this top for a couple of months now I've never actually worn it.  I think this one can be classified as a wadder. 

1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to get hold of this pattern everywhere. Do you still have it?

    ReplyDelete