Saturday, June 13, 2020

Simple Summer Shirts - ruched sleeve T shirt

After the failure of my last top I had to try again.  This time I wanted to use a piece of jersey I had in stash  It's a swirl of colours - blue, greens, pinks,  purples and then over the top small white polka dots.


The pattern is based on a ready to wear shirt that I bought from a thrift shop back in 2013.  The thing I really liked about that shirt was the sleeves that gathered on top of the shoulder.  I figured that I could do that.

I used my basic knit sloper for a bodice that ends directly under my bust with darts under the bust.   I extended the arm hole directly out from the shoulder for about 7" or 8" and then angled it back to the bottom of the arm hole.  I created a V neckline front and back with a deeper V at the front.  I sewed the shoulder seams first  then pressed the seams out and stitched 3/8" away from the seam line on each side to create two channels.  I then made a long rouleaux loop and cut it into 4 and threaded each piece through one of the channels tacking them in place at the neckline and tying a knot at each end.


 I then added two rectangles, one front and one back to make the lower half of the skirt tapering the rectangles out from the under bust dimensions to my hip dimensions.  I sewed up and serged the side seams and then hemmed the bottom with a 1/2" double fold hem.

The neckline I finished off with a narrow band. and left the arm hole unfinished (so that the straps could move within their channels.



I really like the way this shirt came out and find myself reaching for it quite a bit.  Definitely a winner.







No comments:

Post a Comment