Thursday, June 6, 2019

More Sirocco Jumpsuits

Well my Butterfly Sirrocco Jumpsuit has been a big hit in my wardrobe.  I feel like I have to actively hold myself back from wearing it every time it's clean, otherwise I'd be wearing it all the time.  So I thought I'd make some more.


But first up I wanted to update my pattern.  I summarised the changes I made in my last post but in reality the changes were much more piecemeal and all over the place so I wanted to see just how close I was to what I said.

So I went back and took the base size 42 pattern.  I then took out the length I needed - 1"at the thigh, 2"at the knee and 1"at the rise and then graded out to 46 at the hip and 52 at the waist.   Turns out I was pretty close, but I did notice that I had stuffed something up somewhere in my original pattern and the front was actually 1"shorter than the back....oops.  All fixed now.

As for the top. I started with the 42 and did a 4"full bust adjustment (2"added to the half pattern).  Turns out I was pretty close which was quite interesting. The back I cut to 42, but left the added length at the shoulder.

I did make one further change to the pattern for this next iteration.  I removed an extra 1"in the rise of the pants, but on further consideration I'm a bit sorry I did that.  This version is now a bit short in the crotch.  Nothing too noticeable though. 

Now to figure out what material to use this time.

I had some teal and pink  and red striped upholstery type fabric that I picked up recently in a fabric swap and decided I wanted to try that out.  I started with the pants and had just enough to cut them out.  Now the big issue here is that this fabric is a woven not a knit - so I knew I'd need something else for the waistband.  I found a purple knit rib that matched nicely and went with that.  I basted the pants together and tried them on.  Just a smidge tight getting them up over the hips - so I took out the back darts and just eased the fabric into the stretchy waistband.  You can barely tell  the darts are missing and now they slide on nicely.



But I didn't have enough fabric left to make the to top, plus I figured I should probably make the top out of something more stretchy to make getting it on and off easier.  So I cut the top out of the purple knit rib.  Unfortunately this was too stretchy.  So the top is a bit big.  I took about an inch off each side right down the sleeves and sides grading out to match the pants just below the waistband, but it still feels a little big and it just doesn't sit nicely - hence all the wrinkles. 

I also added long sleeves to this version to make it a more winter worthy jumpsuit.  I used the sleeve pattern from my rainbow zipper dress.





I also made a self fabric belt to go with it.  In the mirror I like this look better, but in the photos I think I actually prefer it without.





 Either way, my husband still said it makes me look frumpy.  Oh well bugger him.  I love the pants They are just so bright and fun and really so comfortable too.  I don't love the top - It just doesn't sit that well as you can see from all the wrinkles here. I have thought about cutting the top off and just using the pants as it, but I know I'll always struggle to find a shirt to match these pants so for now I'll leave it as is. I really do love the pants part of it.

So of course I had to go back and try again. This time I went shopping specifically for fabric and found an amazing blue purple leopard print fabric that I really love.  I made this straight to my modified pattern and the fit is pretty good,  Could be a bit tighter at the waist, but that'd make getting it on and off harder so I doubt I'll take it in. 







There is just one issue with this pair.....that yellow splodge down the inner thigh on both legs - I reckon it looks like I wet myself.  But I'm not quite sure what to do other than scrap it and start again...I do have some fabric spray paint downstairs - I wonder if a quick spray in purple would make it look better.  I'm really bummed about it because apart from that this jumpsuit is fabulous!




No comments:

Post a Comment