Sunday, May 22, 2016

Crappy Cargo Pants

OK, so I'm not overly thrilled with how these turned out - but they are a wearable pair of pants, so I figured I should really blog them.


I talked in depth here about how I did the muslin for these pants. In the end I knew the pattern wasn't fantastic, but I decided to just go with it anyway cause I wanted these pants finished.

These pants are made from a cheap cotton purchased at the local discount fabric store for $2.99/yard.  It's actually a bit thinner that I originally thought so it's really not the best fabric for a pair of pants but it does make a nice pair of long pants for spring/summer where you want coverage but not warmth. I've worn them a couple of times this spring when I would normally have worn shorts, as when I pulled out all my me made shorts from last year they no longer fit.



The best thing about these pants are the pockets and the top stitching.   The entire pants are top stitched in two colours, green and blue.  I didn't put in a real fly but I did top stitch in a flake fly.


Two slash pockets were sewn into the front of the pants and top stitched along the top edges and also around the curve of the pockets holding them in place.

Two patch pockets on the back with arrow top stitching.  I got the placement of these pockets totally off, though I do have to say they work better slanted like this than they would be if they were straighter.  If this were a better pair of pants I'd take them off and re position them  but for these pants I really can't be bothered.


Down the side seams there are two pleated pockets with flaps.  I haven't secured the flaps with anything and I don't think I will - I hate having to undo pockets before putting things in them.

  


 The waistband is two rows of 1" wide elastic separated with a row of stitches.



I think the two biggest problems I have with these pants are.

1.  The rise is too high especially in the back and the back side does not look great this is the best picture of it and it's not great.


This is more like it.   When I move it pulls in weird directions and just generally feels off.



2. The pants leg are too wide.  This probably isn't a real issue, I'm just not a fan of the wide leg pants look on me.

I've thought a couple of times about cutting these off into knee length shorts but I cant make up my mind.  I'm also contemplating taking off the waistband and cutting off some of the rise.  We shall see.






2 comments:

  1. Sorry these didn't turn out like you hoped. I really like the topstitching design on the back pockets and that you did cargo pants. (I wish Thread Theory had a women's version of the Jutland cargo pants. I can envision those in a flannel lined version.) I'm surprised the rise isn't comfortable. I always think I want mine like that. They look comfy for summer. Hope your next pair goes better. Kudos for drafting your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I was really surprised when I went looking for cargo pants patterns that they didn't seem to exist. And one of the reasons I haven't cut these off into shorts is that I was thinking of adding a flannel/fleece lining to them for next winter - If they last that long I probably will.

    As for the high rise I do like it - the front is good but for some reason the back, after you've been wearing them for a while, sags down and it feels like I'm wearing a saggy diaper. Not a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete