Monday, September 9, 2019

Houndstooth Cardigan and Chevron Shirt

A couple of months ago now I posted about a boucle cardigan, that I made as a wearable muslin for this cardigan.




There is really not much else to say about this make. The fabric I used is a beautiful brushed flannel fabric in a black and white houndstooth pattern.   This fabric is so beautifully soft and warm.I used the same pattern and same methods as I did for the boucle cardigan with just a couple of exceptions.

I used a black bias binding to finish the top of the pockets and added black piping in the curved seam between the pocket and the front piece.



I used a black knit fabric to bind from the top of the front right around the back and back to the front at the other side and also to bind the sleeves.



I tried my hardest to put button holes in so that I could use these cool black velvet buttons that I have but it just wasnt working so I just added two black snaps instead.  I may go back and try again at another time - maybe I need to do hand stitched button holes, but for now'I wantéd to be able to wear this on my trip to Australia so snaps it was.





And now that I have a couple of nice cardigans in my wardrobe, I thought it was about time to remake my existing chevron over sized cardi


into a normal sized shirt.


I used my basic raglan sleeve pattern, cut the front out of the existing back, cut the back out of the original front and put a seam up the back,


The sleeves were cut out of the existing sleeves which required a reduction in length, but I cut off the band around the front and neckline and used it to make new sleeve cuffs. 


I used some of the remainder of the band to make a new neckband. 



The hem is just a simple turned up and straight stitched hem.

There is nothing really exciting about this shirt - in fact it's pretty boring, but on the plus side it feels so snuggly and warm which is what drew me to this fabric in the first place.



No comments:

Post a Comment