Sunday, September 2, 2018

Peacock Dress

The fabric for this dress was an impulse buy.  I was purchasing fabric to make this bag for my friend - she'd specified blue for the insides of the bags so my eyes were scanning for all things blue and of course this fabric jumped out at me.  It's a basic quilting cotton, a bright blue background with peacock feathers - my two favourite things.  I decided to buy two yards of it just because.


I couldn't leave the fabric sitting around either - I had to make it up.  I decided that I wanted it to be in the style of my Avian dress.  I love this dress but it does have a few minor issues with fit in the bodice - so I redrafted the bodice.  To do this I used the bodice and waistband from my interview dress.



 I modified the back neckline into a deep scoop.



I cut the front on the fold to eliminate the front button band and modified the front neckline to line up with the back.  I also raised the underarm by about 1.25 inches.


The skirt I made exactly as I did the avian and interview dresses - a basic rectangle with pleats and pockets in the side seams.



I did french seams throughout and finished the neckline and arm holes with store bought green bias tape I had in my stash.

After wearing the dress for 1/2 hour or so I realised that this was not a smart idea with the arm holes  as I hadn't removed the seam allowance and it was digging in around the front arm hole.  Thankfully I had enough bias tape so I just cut off the old stuff and redo the armholes 1/2" or so further in.  I really didn't feel like unpicking all that bias binding!

The after wearing the dress into town one day I realised that I wasn't happy with the front neckline.  I'm not sure if it stretched out because I didn't stay stitch the neckline or what but I found that my dress was gaping quite a bit in the center front.

What I needed to do was take a seam right down the front tapering from about 1/2" at the top to nothing at the waistband...but I knew that if I did that it would look really tacky and homemade so instead I took two darts starting at the neckline about 1" from center front and angling out to the bottom of the princess seam at the waistline - It just looks a little more purposeful than a single seam down the front.



Now that I've made those minor changes I am so happy with this dress.  I love the fabric, I love the style - it's a great dress.




It has however made me think quite a bit.  The first time I wore it I got asked by someone I don't know very well  (ie. someone who doesn't know that I make all my own clothes) if I made it myself.  Now normally I love saying "I made it" but I can't help thinking that maybe this dress looks a little TOO homemade.  I've thought about this subject quite a bit and decided that it's probably due to the style rather than anything else.  A bright patterned quilting cotton dress tends to scream home made no matter how nicely you make it.  Oh well - It's certainly not going to make any difference to me - I love this dress and I love how it looks on me and I can definitely say I will be wearing this dress in public on many occasions.

At the big lobster in Shediac New Brunswick Canada

What it generally looks like - un-ironed and slightly rumpled!



5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous make and love the shaping - I dont over think the 'did you make it' as I figure that some people can see a dress is so well fitted or so unusual it could not be off the rack, and yours is both.

    Personally I don't get too caught up in the home made, and for someone to craft anything clothes furniture etc.... that is something to be proud of....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yeah I'm always happy to admit that I made something. I'm definitely proud of my makes. I was really just thinking about what it was about this one that made it obvious that it was home made.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Eimear. The fit on this dress is really good. It looks great, and you look happy wearing it. Finding a summer dress that is just right is a real accomplishment! I’m still looking for just the right one. Also, I really like the two darts in the front. I thought they were interesting and intentional seam lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yeah I'm really happy with those darts - I may try and work them into other similar dresses as well!

      Delete
  3. Stalking your site for a bit less than an hour now... If I may, your peacock dress, your avian dress, and your interview dress are amazing! Make more, they suit you sooo well.
    If you shorten it to tunic length and lengthen the sleeves it'll be good with leggings for winter, and if you change up the bodice a bit, it can be your summer uniform.

    ReplyDelete