Saturday, March 31, 2018

Green and Blue Flanno

After finishing my first flannelette shirt I immediately started on a second one. I found the fabric for this shirt at Walmart.  Whilst I was a bit wary of buying fabric from Walmart to begin with the quality of this material is fantastic.  It's a really thick, really soft flannelette material in a blue and green plaid.



I used the same basic pattern that I had used for my last flannel shirt but with a few minor adjustments.

  • I wanted the shirt to button right up to the collar this time so I modified the neckline of the shirt.
  • I then redrafted the collar to fit.
  • I lowered the neckline at the back as I noticed that my other shirt has a tendency to want to slip back over my shoulders and I figured out that this is the reason why.



I cut the yoke on the bias as well as the front bands, the cuffs, the plackets and the collar.


I also made a facing to finish off the bottom of the shirt as with the very thick material I didn't fancy trying to turn up around all those curves - and I didn't have enough material left to cut bias strips.


I sewed the entire shirt with french seams - including the french darts so there are no messy edges inside - the only problem with that is that I struggle sometimes to figure out which way is inside right and which way is inside out - especially in the dark in the morning!

We wont talk about the pattern matching down the front of the shirt - I'm not sure what happened there - I'm sure it was all aligned when I cut it out - obviously I was wrong!


If I change anything for next time it will be the cuffs - For this shirt I made the cuffs the same diameter as the end of the sleeves - I like my other shirt better where the cuff is more fitted and the shirt is pleated into the cuff.

 
Once again I used snaps instead of buttons - I had grand plans to actually use buttons this time, but when push came to shove I took the easy route out and went with snaps.  One thing I did do however was change out the stars on the inside of the cuffs to plain green rounds - you can't see it, but I find on my other shirts the stars inside the cuffs have a tendency to want to scratch me.

Overall this shirt is a great addition to my wardrobe and I'm sure will get a lot of wear.

 








1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I’m always a fan of bias yokes, cuffs, and placket with plaids. The hem facing is a nice touch, too.

    ReplyDelete