Monday, February 12, 2018

Flannel Shirt

This post is a bit late, but better late than never.  (I apologise in advance for the terrible pictures, but its just too cold to go outside at the moment so washed out inside shots are all I've got!)



I started working on this shirt back in December of last year.  I used the pattern that I created to make this red plaid shirt.  And then modified to make my silk pajamas in November last year.

Once I was finished with my pajamas I decided that I wanted a basic flannel shirt - like the ones I used to wear as a kid (though those were generally tied around my waist rather than on my back).

I modified the pattern once again to include both a back and a front yoke but other wise kept everything else the same.

The material I used is a green flannel material that is a beautiful weight. It's nice and fuzzy and warm on the inside, but much more smooth on the outside so it doesn't look too pajama like.



I cut the yokes with the plaid on the bias.



I also added an inverted box pleat at center back for some extra ease.  I'm not sure that I really like this and would probably remove it next time I use the pattern.


My pattern matching through this project was OK, but not great,  the plaid pattern was totally off grain so I did the best I could,  with what I had.

I used white press studs instead of buttons down the front - they're just so much easier to both install and do up/undo.


I really didn't need that last stud though - I never do it up.

The bottom of the shirt is finished with a narrow hem and I did full cuffs and plackets on the sleeve - again with press studs.


This shirt is really nothing special but it really fills a gap in my wardrobe - its comfortable and warm and what more could you want. For some reason I do't like the neckline on this one - I don't know if it's the plaid placement or what, but it's not enough to stop me form wearing it!

1 comment:

  1. I think your pattern placement/plaid matching looks great!

    ReplyDelete