Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Flanno shirt for DS

 My Son J and I have been trying to get outside for a walk/jog each morning for the last couple of weeks.  It's been really great, but that last couple of mornings it's been getting a bit cool and I've felt the need for a light weight long sleeve shirt to wear over the top.  I've been grabbing one of my flannelette shirts but we reaslised that J doesn't have anything like that - he's got sweaters and jumpers and the odd long sleeve shirt, but no light weight over shirts - so I figured it was time to remedy that. 


I decided that since I was going to have to start from scratch with this shirt I may as well do like I did with my daughter and make a moulage.  It was much easier for J not having to worry about bust darts etc and I got a moulage made up in a morning, then I had to make the pattern.  Figuring how much ease to add was the biggest issue.  I knew that he wasn't going to want it tight, but how tight is too tight? how loose is too loose.  In the end I added 1.5" to each side seam for a total of 6" ease which is probably excessive, but I knew he'd prefer too baggy to too tight.

I used the Cashmerette Harrison shirt pattern to create a collar pattern to fit the new neckline but then used the sleeve placket/cuff pattern that I drafted ages ago for my very first flannelette shirt.

The sleeves I made extra long as per J's request.


We wanted to make the shirt out of a plaid flannel, but I didn't have any in stash so I decided to muslin it in the blue and white checked fabric that I picked up from a fabric swap a year of so ago.

I did some basic pattern matching down the front and the side seams and the yoke, but didn't bother with the plackets and collar etc as I'm not sure that this will ever get worn, but I decided to make it fully anyway -  it'll do for our walks until we can get to the fabric store for some good material.





1 comment: