Friday, November 9, 2018

Finally a new Bathrobe

The last time I got a new bathrobe was just before my youngest was born.  He's now 9 years old so I think we can safely say that it's about time I had a new one.  I've been planning on making myself one for the last couple of years but never get around to it.

During out first cold snap of the year I decided it was time to stop procrastinating and get on with it.  I had a piece of black fluffy material in my stash that I had mentally assigned to bathrobe  but when I pulled it out I knew at once that there wasn't going to be enough material.

Oh darn now I had to take a trip to the fabric store.   I was hoping that there would be more of the black material but no such luck - so instead I bought 4.5 (or was it 5) yards of red and black buffalo plaid fleece.

 

The pattern that I used for the bathrobe was one I had in stash - Simplicity 1562.  I bought this a while ago and made my Mum a bathrobe for the birthday.  As I found at the time the sizing on this rob is VERY generous. According to my measurements I should have made a size L.  However I made a size S for my Mum and even this was huge, so for my bathrobe I cut the shoulders/neckline/arm hole to a XS extending out to a M under the arms.
It's still huge on me - Whilst I want my bathrobes to be big and fluffy this is just excessive.  3  sizes below where my measurements put me and I still feel like it's swimming on me!



I cut the sleeves to a size M and added about 3 or 4 inches to the length.  When sewing it all together  I turned the end of the sleeve under 4" and then turned back 2" to form a big cuff.  I thought about adding some elastic to the cuffs to keep them snug after reading a review of this pattern where they did this and liking the idea, but for now I'll stick with the cuffs.  I love that these are extra long and my hands can stay warm tucked up inside the sleeves at all times.



When I sewed the bathrobe together I did a mock flat fell on all seams.  sewing the seam with right sides together, trimming down one side of the seam and turning the remaining side over the cut side and stitching down again.  I then trimmed any excess off that seam making a nice neat finish inside.



I also stitched down the facing in the same way.

I cut the bathrobe to the pattern length and then didn't hem it to try and keep as much length as possible for extra snuggliness I like the full ankle length of the final robe.



I also didn't add the tie loops to the side seams as I hate ties that can be removed.  Instead I stitched the tie to the robe at the center back.


The bathrobe has huge patch pockets on the front which I love.  I didn't bother trying to plaid match or anything just popped them on with a double row of stitching.


I'm loving wearing this bathrobe around.  It's so warm and snuggly.  Now I just need a new pair of Ugg boots to go with it.  These one's are over 10 years old and getting a bit threadbare!


No comments:

Post a Comment