Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Blue Linen Pants

OK so the first of the summer sewing has finally started.  I'm not the sort of person who can look ahead and make things early.  Until it starts warming up I can't start making warm weather clothes.  I need to be able to wear what I make straight away.



So anyway my first warm weather make this year is a pair of light weight linen pants.  I've been wanting these since the end of last summer - even had the material in my stash.  It s a beautiful linen in a light blue.

But it's a good lesson in how material can really affect the way a pattern fits.

I used my basic pants pattern that I've been working on forever now.  All my winter pants that I've made out of this pattern have been great, no fitting issues as all, so I just went straight ahead and made these pants without any modifications. Unfortunately something is slightly off.  They fit fine if I'm standing still, but as soon as I move the bunch up in the front and pull down in the back.  It's really annoying.  I was soo looking forward to these pants.

But anyway a couple of features of these pants.  The back pockets were made extra long and cut off at and angle.  The extra length was then turned down and the whole pocket was top stitched onto the pants so that the angle makes a faux flap - I really like how this worked out.


In fact the fit of these pants at the back is spot on.  I have that down pat now.  I just have to work on the front.

The front pockets I made quite square this time and possibly a little bit too small, They're a bit awkward to get my hands into.  Also, I had to top stitch the bags in place to get them to stay where I wanted.  I didn't do a front fly - I never use them anyway - and just used elastic in the waistband.  It's more comfortable that way and really who cares!


Obviously, being linen the pants are in dire need of a press after being worn all morning.

I've still been wearing them, but I'm just a touch annoyed that they're not perfect.  Now I've got to figure out what the problem is and how I can fix them before I start making shorts for the season.




1 comment:

  1. I’m sorry to hear that the fit isn’t what you were going for. The back pockets are a really cool design, and the fit of the back does look just right. I hope they turn out to be wearable, because they look great for summer. I’m really coming around to linen for warm weather wear. Nice to see you smiling, too! :)

    ReplyDelete