Monday, October 31, 2016

Knitting odds and ends

Shortly after I started the crochet circular coat for my sister my best friend asked me if I would make something for her.  I had knitted her a pair of socks for Christmas and she wanted a pair as a present for her Mum who always has cold feet.  Now I love her Mum she's always been great to me - so I was more than happy to knit her a pair of socks.

The only problem was that I didn't have a pattern for socks her size.  The only socks I'd made were either too big or too small.  So I went on Ravelly to find a pair of socks in her size. What I found was that there is no such thing.  All the patterns would say vague things like knit till the length you want.  Well I didn't know what length I wanted so all I could do was look up some basic foot charts and using her shoe size knit to a standard length.  I assume that socks are stretchy enough that a little variation in size can be ignored.

The sock pattern that I decided on was the Fidelio Pattern.  My friend had asked for the socks to be pink but I struggled a bit to find pink sock yarn.  In the end I found a flamingo pink 100% superwash merino yarn at my local knitting store In the Loop.

The socks turned out great, though I'm not sure I like the top down knitting approach.  I much prefer to  knit my socks toe up.

The colour in these photos really doesn't do them justice though.




This is closer to the real colour.


Once I was finished with these socks I started on a pair for myself.  I had two skeins of The Kiwi Pop Studio fingering weight yarn in Lemon and Chartreuse (Aussie green and gold my friend - green and gold).  I went looking for a pattern I could use that would use two colours and came up with the Chain Reaction sock.  I knitted up a gauge swatch and found that my swatch was quite a bit bigger than specified, and since I was already using size 1 needles and didn't have anything smaller I had to do a few adjustments to the pattern to get my socks to fit me.

I do love these socks,  the pattern and the stripe underneath the foot, but they don't have great stretch or recovery, which is a bit of a shame and unfortunately after they were washed once, the green colour faded a lot so in these pictures the pattern is barely visible anymore.





Next up on my knitting needles was a pair of gloves for L.  I knitted her a pair of gloves two years ago out of a beautiful alpaca that I hand dyed to a pinky red colour, and she promptly went and lost one of them so I was a bit unsure as to whether I wanted to knit her another pair, but she talked me into it - she has promised not to lose these ones.

The yarn is one that I picked up at the yarn and fiber fair held at our local farm Tangerini's.  It's from FiberStash DyeWorks and is called Twinkle Toes Sock Yarn and has a  sparkly thread woven into the wool.  For the basic glove I used the Classic Gloves #616 pattern in a child's size large.  This is just a basic glove pattern with just a little texture added to the hand in the guise of a k1p1 row every three rows.   To provide extra warmth, once the gloves were finished I went back and added a mitten flap, picking up a row of stitches half way down the hand to attach the mitten to the glove.  I used the same basic knitting pattern, and added a ribbed cuff to keep the mitten tight around the hand.

I love these gloves (and even better they fit me too) so there may be a bit of fighting going on in our house over who gets to wear these at any given time...











1 comment:

  1. Wow! Beautiful projects. I really love that second pair of socks. The colors are pattern are really cool.

    ReplyDelete