Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Simple green knitted tank

When I finished my Triple L Tweed top i was at a bit of a loss as to what to knit next.  I've had this ball of pure merino super wash in my stash for quite some time but I was never sure what to make with it.



The yarn is a HPKY (Hand Painted Knitting Yarns)  Regina Louise DK weight wool in forest green .  When I bought the wool I was thinking of making socks, however after making one pair of socks out of this wool and having them last less than a month before getting holes I figured another pair was out of the question.  So what else could I do with one single ball?



....another tank top, this time I wanted to go for a thinner strap look.  I decided on a very simple pattern.  A lower band of 2 by 2 rib was knit in the round from the bottom up. Once again my gauge didn't work very well for some reason and the top ended up being looser than I wanted so once I changed to stockinette stitch I started decreasing every couple of rows till I got to the right number of stitches I wanted.


I continued knitting in the round till I  got to the length I wanted  to the underarm (I wanted it as long as possible but did only have the one ball of yarn) then I split my ball of wool.  I split the front stitches into two and decreased at both the armhole and neck edge creating two triangles.  I did the same for the back stitches.


Unfortunately I ran out of wool about 3/4 of the way up the back two triangles.  There wasn't enough of the project left to buy another ball of wool, (especially at $29 a ball) so I went through my stash and found the closest match.  An Icelandic Plötulopi in forest green that I picked up at a grocery store while touring around Iceland.  The texture of the two wools couldn't be more different but I decided I didn't really care and used it anyway.


Once my triangles were down to 9 stitches I changed to double pointed needles and made the remaining stitches into an i cord.  A three needle bind off joined front and back and the top was finished.




Its a bit see through in some lights and could have done with some shaping in the front to account for my boobs - but otherwise I love it.  It's light and airy and feels beautiful to wear.

1 comment:

  1. I still can't believe you can just make up a sweater pattern! It's cool! Also, nice pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete