Sunday, February 28, 2016

Yet Another Shirt Pattern!

I'm still working my way through all the winter shirts that I've been making lately.  I think I need to stop making shirts and concentrate on something else for a while!

This shirt came about as I tried to play around with different ways to deal with the darts from my sloper in a knit fabric.  The fabric is a beautiful teal, rather heavy weight knit, with just a small amount of stretch that I picked up on one of my latest trips to the fabric store.

 

In the last two shirts I made, the darts from the sloper were essentially moved to the side seam and the knit properties of the shirt allowed to take up the rest of the extra room required around the bust.  This time around however I decided to cut the pattern as per the sloper (adjusted to negative ease to account for the stretch of the fabric) and then gather the extra fabric from the dart.


The pattern consists of the bodice front piece, sewed together up from the front seam, and a bodice back piece, skirt and sleeve.  The sleeves I'm happy with, the bodice back and front I'm happy with, but the skirt piece is a bit too tight, and a bit shorter at the front than at the back,  The neckline I was happy with until I saw these photos.  I again tried to do the overlapped V neck band, but I'm not happy with how its sitting.  I think from now on I'll go back to the basic V neck band with the front seam sewed  before it's put on.



My only other issue with this shirt is that it seems to have shrunk slightly since I made it. The sleeves are just a smidge too short, as is the overall length.  I'm not sure why, as I did wash and dry the fabric before cutting into it.



Overall - happy with it.  I like the gathered bust detail and it sits pretty well overall - apart from the shrinkage issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment